But two at the most.
Three, I’m under the table;
Four, I’m under the host.”
Raise a glass to Dorothy Parker’s wit and wisdom.
Kevin C. Fitzpatrick, founder and president of the Dorothy Parker Society, gives us an intoxicating new look at the doyenne of the ripping riposte through the lens she most preferred: the bottom of a glass. A bar book for Parker enthusiasts and literary tipplers alike, Under the Table offers a unique take on Mrs. Parker, the Algonquin Round Table, and the Jazz Age by celebrating the cocktails that she, her bitter friends, and sweetest enemies enjoyed.
Each entry of this delicious compendium offers a fascinating and lively history of a period cocktail, a complete recipe, and the characters associated with it. The book also features a special selection of twenty first–century speakeasy-style recipes from the country’s top mixologists. Topping it off are excerpts from Parker’s poems, stories, and other writings that will allow you to enjoy her world from the speakeasies of New York City to the watering holes of Hollywood.
• A Los Angeles Times Best New Book Selection• A Vogue Perfect Gift Book Pick“Slim but handy” —New York Times”A fine, fizzy new literary treatment … An elaborately structured appreciation … it’s an offbeat and boundlessly amusing cultural safari—L. A. Weekly“A charmingly assembled, lovely little package that many people will find an essential addition to their shelves. … Both informative and useful: it gives nice little histories of each drink and is well organized and very handsomely designed. … If you’re someone who takes your booze at all seriously, then this is a book you will enjoy tremendously.” —New Haven Review“Unique … A delightful blend of hearsay and history, musings and mixology, there’s plenty to satisfy Dorothy’s fans as well as lots of lore to inspire cocktail enthusiasts to become new ones. … Readers can enjoy drinks and stories from across the country and even around the world. … Whether you’re a Dorothy Parker devotee or a craft cocktail connoisseur—or, hell, just a lush who loves spouting poetry—be sure to add this book to your must-read pile. Then, consider your holiday gift list solved.” —Black Heart magazine“A swell new book … Clever … There’s only one place to shelve this in a bookstore—right next to the cash register. The holidays are coming; this is a perfect gift book.” —Travalanche
About the Author
Kevin C. Fitzpatrick is founder and president of the Dorothy Parker Society, author of A Journey into Dorothy Parker’s New York, and co-editor of The Lost Algonquin Round Table. A licensed New York City sightseeing guide, he gives tours of city landmarks, literary sites, cemeteries, and unusual locations. He frequently speaks at libraries, salons, and private clubs, and in his spare time he enjoys dedicating bronze plaques for dead people. Allen Katz is cofounder and vice president of the New York Distilling Company, which makes Dorothy Parker American Gin. The director of spirits education and mixology for Southern Wine & Spirits of New York, he also hosts The Cocktail Hour, a weekly program on Martha Stewart’s SiriusXM channel. A past chairman of Slow Food USA, he serves on the board of directors for the New Orleans Culinary & Culture Preservation Society and the Manhattan Cocktail Classic, an annual four-day, four-borough celebration of the intersection between cocktails and culture.
Dorothy Parker’s wit and intelligence seemed to overcome her over indulgence in alcoholic beverages and Mr. Fitzpatrick honors the memory of the legendary lion of the Algonquin Round Table
Great writing, great cocktails. I always thought that the phrase “What Fresh Hell is This” was originally written on the “Frasier” TV show, but, it seems that Dorothy said it first.
This is a must have for 1920s aficionados! Not only are the stories interesting, the cocktail recipes are spot on. I’ve tried four or five of them with terrific results.
- Title: Under the Table: A Dorothy Parker Cocktail Guide
- Autor: Kevin C. Fitzpatrick
- Publisher (Publication Date): Lyons Press (November 5, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: | 076279268X
- ISBN-13: | 978-0762792689
- File Format: EPUB, PDF